Sunday, September 7, 2008

The downside

I've been thinking a lot lately about this guy my mom works with. He was your classic over-the-top Cubs fan - I'm sure you all know the type. Then in 2003, when...well, you either already know what happened with the Cubs in 2003 or don't care. Anyway, the day after what my family still refers to as "that incident," everyone at her workplace wondered nervously what this man would say when he came in. Finally, he appeared.

He was dressed in every item of White Sox gear a person could possibly own. Everyone stared. He said, in a tone I can only begin to imagine, "Never mention the Cubs to me again." Then he went into his office and closed the door.

I've always laughed at that story, but let me tell you something: I'm about to ask my mom for his number.

No comments: