Thursday, August 21, 2008

"Zambrano spit out the tooth and stayed in the game"

It may be because I'm tired and overly excited in a little-kid way about my Jesus School orientation, my new neighborhood, and other such things, but this MLB article made me laugh so much.  Let's take a look:
Carlos Zambrano has come out of games because he's thrown too many pitches, because he's given up too many runs, and even because of cramps caused by either too much time on the computer [what?  Did he really say that?  Probably reading this blog.  Hi, Z!] or dehydration.
On Thursday, the problem was a cracked molar.

"I've been out to the mound many times to check pitchers' injuries," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said of a visit in the fifth inning, "but never for a cracked molar. We needed a dentist."

Zambrano spit out the tooth and stayed in the game. He didn't need much help as he almost single-handedly beat the Cincinnati Reds, 3-2. The right-hander hit his fourth home run, and gave up one run over seven innings for the win, ending his three-game winless streak. On Friday, he'll get his tooth fixed.

It was just another "Cubby occurrence," a phenomenon Piniella has discovered in his nearly two years in Chicago.

"That was a first for me and a first for the umpires," Piniella said.

"I think I ate too much gum, and the gum has a lot of sugar," Zambrano said. "I keep telling my daughter not to eat a lot of gum and I'm not a good example. I think my daughter today will be all over me at the house. I accept it."
Then later:
The only other glitch for the Cubs came in the Reds eighth when Joey Votto launched his 15th homer off Carlos Marmol, the first runs off the right-hander in 16 innings since the All-Star break. Marmol did not report any problems with his teeth after the game.
I also love the mention of Z's "several animated conversations with himself" during this game. "He's had conversations before," Lou helpfully explains.  "I'm excluded from those conversations."  I guess it's another Cubby occurrence.

No comments: