Saturday, August 9, 2008

A few things

1.) Today's win against the Cardinals satisfied me deep inside my soul.  I Tivo'd it so I could watch the team celebrating with hero-of-the-day Blanco over and over again.

2.) We watched the Olympics opening ceremonies on my aunt and uncle's enormous TV, cheering for the Polish athletes (many of my friends have described my family as the Polish version of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which is quite accurate).  As the gymnast (I think) was lifted into the air to light the torch, my cousin said, "Is he going all the way around the thing?"  My aunt replied, "I think so.  It doesn't look like they do anything halfway here."

3.) This article, which really deserves its own post, but I'm trying to cut down a little on the Muppet obsession.  This article could possibly make your head blow up.  I've described Z and Fontenot's pregame piggyback ritual before, but hearing it written out in such detail is pretty astonishing.  Some highlights:
"I really can't remember where we got it from," Fontenot said.  "It's just driving a nail into the ground, and then we implemented a thing where I jump on his back and he carries me to the promised land."
WHAT.  STOP THAT.  ACTUALLY, DON'T STOP.  EVER.  

Can we talk about this for a minute?  You "jump on his back" and he "carries you to the promised land"?  Is that what Little Babe Ruth just said?  What does this MEAN?
Don't worry, it doesn't hurt. Zambrano appears to be pounding Fontenot on the head, but in reality, he never touches the second baseman's blonde hair.

"He doesn't really hit me," Fontenot said.

Does Fontenot skip the drill on days that Zambrano is pitching?

"No, we do it then," he said. "I make sure I'm out there before he goes on the mound. I don't want to get him mad."

So, keep an eye on the dugout before Zambrano goes out to warm up for Saturday's game against the St. Louis Cardinals. Whatever the right-hander is doing is working, because he's 6-0 in 12 starts at Wrigley Field. The Cubs won the series opener Friday, 3-2, on Henry Blanco's 11th-inning walk-off RBI single, dropping the Cardinals seven games back in the National League Central.

"It's good times," Fontenot said.
Yes, it is.  Good times.  It REALLY is.

No comments: