Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My summer in baseball

Here are the games I've gone to, or will be going to if all goes according to plan, this summer:

1.) White Sox/Rockies on Father's Day.  I mostly went to see the Rockies, who I will probably always have massive affection for even when they play poorly.  They won.  I cheered for them, but only inside my head, because the fans on either side looked very hostile and I didn't want anyone to hit me.  I also didn't wear any of the nine million items of Rockies gear I somehow acquired during my time in Denver, but I'll try to be braver next time.

2.) A minor-league game the last weekend in August (I think): the Schaumburg Flyers vs. a team I believe is called the Gary South Side Railcats, my new favorite team name.  I love minor-league games so much, you guys.  If anyone in the Chicago area wants to go to another one, let me know.  And on an entirely different level of excitement:

3.) Cubs/Brewers, September 18th.  Okay, so my friend and I couldn't get tickets next to each other, but they're in the same general area.  Generally.  Now all we have to do is hope that "Reverend Zambrano," as my game companion called him recently, will be pitching.  But I'd be happy with Teddy Roosevelt Lilly too.  Well, frankly, I'd be happy even if it was Ryne Sandburg's minor-league team with the weird, creepy mascots - I just can't wait to be back at Wrigley.

No comments: